Friday, April 11, 2014

The BEST Pancakes and Recent Finishes

Like most people, I think my grandmother's pancake recipe is the best!  They turn out perfect every time and they fill you up until dinner time.  So, I thought I would share her special recipe with you.

      yield: ~12 pancakes (this is a double batch)

  • 2 cups buttermilk (I didn't have so I made them with sour milk but I prefer buttermilk)
  • 2 eggs 
  • 1/4 cup canola oil
  • 1 1/2 cups quick rolled oats
  • 1 cup all purpose flour
  • 2 rounded tablespoons oat bran 
  • 2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1 teaspoon sugar
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt


Beat the buttermilk, eggs, and oil together until well mixed.


Add remaining ingredients to bowl in order listed.  Notice I spread the oats over the whole surface of the milk when I added them.  This gives them a chance to soften a little while you add the rest of the ingredients. 


This is what my grandmother meant by rounded tablespoonfuls.  I didn't have any oat bran on hand, so I used ground flax seed.


Mix batter with a fork until just combined.  I like using my electric griddle so I can make a few at a time.  I preheat to between 325 and 350 degrees and lightly spray with cooking spray before the first pancakes.  Use 1/3 to 1/2 cup of batter per pancake.




And there you have it!  These are great with syrup but my personal favorite is crushed fresh or frozen raspberries.  Yum!

Anyway, now that I have a plateful of comfort food, here are my finishes so far this month:


I sent my other grandmother a surprise package comprised of these ballet slippers and the cross stitch below.  She was telling me that she finally gave up her knitting and crochet work because her arthritis is so bad now she can't hold onto the needles and hooks. :(  And I was recalling all the ugly but well-loved slippers she always made us as kids and decided to make my first pair of slippers.


This was the other part of her surprise package.  I stitched this up for her on some of my hand-dyed fabric, from the last post, using this pattern but substituting for colors I had in my stash or like better.  I used three strands and worked over two threads, but that made it less neat looking.  She loves and collects frogs and it is a great addition for spring.


And I wanted a small, quick project, so I made a Space Invaders inspired name plate for Mister on light blue Aida with DMC 154.

That is all I have to show for now, but I have a few other patterns in progress including a crocheted Link hat for T.  So have a great day, and happy stitching!  



No comments:

Post a Comment